Saturday, February 17, 2007

it is only about me

AA Flight 276 to Miami

Me: Excuse ma'm, I think it's a little warm in here. Can you check the air?

Steward: Nobody else has mentioned this. I was warm earlier and now I'm comfortable and I'm usually the one complaining about being hot.

Me: Ok then I am an asshole. Thank you.

Have you ever sent something back at a restaurant because it didn’t taste good and the waiter says “that’s strange because nobody has ever sent this back” or “really, this is one of my favorite dishes”?

Well my first question to the waiter is “are you trying to make me feel like shit”? They usually head to the kitchen at that point.

Good customer service is about making the customer feel happy and comfortable no matter what. It doesn’t matter if I’m sending the salad back because I simply changed my mind and I no longer want the Cesar salad. It is because of such poor service in general that we consumers have learned that we have to lie to get what we want. We have to say we don’t like the taste of this Cesar dressing even though that’s not the case. Imagine a restaurant with such great service that you could feel comfortable saying to the waiter when he is gently setting the salad plate in front of you that you simply changed your mind and no longer feel like the Cesar. As simple as that, and he would respond with “of course sir, may I get you something else instead? Perhaps a baby mixed green salad or the soup of the day, potato leek, which is superb this evening.” How could you not smile and feel great when you leave 22% gratuity after an experience like that?

No comments:

 

qgold's recommendations at ThisNext
Shopcast powered by ThisNext
Get this for your blog or website