Thursday, June 29, 2006

dress to impress

So 730am this morning I’m at j o’groats for breakfast and while I’m waiting for my guest I scan the room. The guy at the table next to me is wearing blue jeans and a dark t-shirt that says NYFD or something to that affect. His guest shows up wearing slacks and a dress shirt and the guy in the jeans says “hey Bob good to see you. Sorry I’m dressed down but I’m flying out of town later today and this is my travel outfit.”

Ok are you with me or what? Here is the rule: if you have to apologize for what you’re wearing then obviously you are trying to impress the person on the other end of the table. If you are trying to impress someone (job interview, venture capital meeting, date, etc.) dress right and don’t give any excuses. It really is that simple.

And then to top it off a few minutes later in the conversation I hear “…I could have worn my suit and then gone home after breakfast but then that would be an extra hour on the road and …..” oh gosh I really hope this guy didn’t get the job, money, sex or whatever he was looking for because he does not deserve it. At least if I’m the judge…and I was.

And while we’re on the topic of dressing to impress right around the corner fro my office is a street corner where migrant, probably illegal, “guest” workers stand around waiting for someone to pick them up for a $5-10 an hour day job. You know the ones. Well today when I drove by one of the ten guys was wearing shorts, no shirt and socks, no shoes. What do you think the odds are?

1 comment:

Far-sight said...

Confidence is the key. If you’re dressed differently than everyone else and you are super confident then everyone else thinks they’re dressed wrong. Rock those plaid shorts baby.

 

qgold's recommendations at ThisNext
Shopcast powered by ThisNext
Get this for your blog or website