Friday, January 06, 2006

is it me?

So I'm boarding the 100% full northwest airlines flight from memphis to lax and when I get on the plane 90% of the passengers are already seated. With my two carry on pieces of luggage I look for 13D. When I get there the overhead storage bin above my seat is already closed and a waitress, or whatever they call themselves, is standing a few rows back. When I reach up to open the bin she says in a firm voice "if it's closed that means it's full, but there is space for it back here." And of course all the passengers are seated and at attention awaiting her next command. Now do I want my bag stored three rows behind my seat so when we land I have to fight to get back there and then I lose my position to d-board? Of course not. So I reply "No, people just throw their stuff up there and close it so it's not full when they leave" and then I open it and damn it's pretty full. But now I'm on the hook. It looks tough but it's not impossible. I take the down jacket and squeeze a little air out of it, move the shopping bag on top of the garment bag and slide them tightly against the jacket. This creates just enough space to barely fit my suitcase up there but it's in there. I then try to close the bin and it doesn't latch. Oh no. I try a few more times and it still doesn't catch. I then try one more time and this time I close it and put a little extra umph in the follow through and bam it closes. Oh what a feeling. I look around at all the staring eyes and no one applauds, not even a smile. I take a quick bow and then my seat.
Ahhh the friendly skys.

No comments:

 

qgold's recommendations at ThisNext
Shopcast powered by ThisNext
Get this for your blog or website